Monday, August 8, 2011

CatFish! (Not really an experiment 01)


This post is isnt based on an experiment. I just wanted to share.

Scuse me while I nerd my face off here.


Catfish.
Ive eaten these delicious fish for years.

Quite a few people I know view this fish as a vile bottom dweller, nasty to eat and ugly to behold.

Well fuck you.
Get out of your box, hole or whatever you live in and try some. Typically, the catfish you find in your grocery is the Channel Catfish; farmed from one sub species (sub 'A' I think). They make a great fish for the fish farming industry; and really, are kept in clean tanks. The fish in muddy rivers will have a difference in taste, that watery mud taste people complain about. This is usually rectified with proper handling, a soak over night in butter milk and proper cooking. And not being a bitch. A friend of mine will eat weird sushi, but turns her nose up at catfish.

Wtf?

I prepare mine in a few ways. My preferred method, (and the first time I tried catfish) is on the BBQ; but the oven and frying also works fine. I usually work with fillets; though the odd whole catfish or catfish head soup is desired. (that soup is a WIP. Husband is mortified!)

How did I come to love the catfish?

In the summer..I used to work at a kiddos fishing pond stocked with these fish; and eating them fresh as hell was a treat. Summer was awesome. Teaching kids to fish, cleaning fish, eating fish.
The first catfish I encountered at 15 pounds. A 3 ot 5 yearold kid hooked it, and couldnt bring it in.

The ideal size in my experience was a 3-5 pound fish; filleted out. A little pepper, and whatever suits your fancy rubbed on top. Thrown on foil on top of a bbq. you're set. DONT FLIP THEM.

ass.

It's done when the flesh flakes and its white through out. Squeeze a little lemon on top. or dont.
Eat it.

Im not too fond of frying fish at home; though I will on occasion to make the smoke alarms go off.
By far, the BBQ is the best place for me to do anything with catfish. (or fish in general). Catfish is #2 on my list of gustatory orgasms (of the fish kind). Salmon is #1. (swordfish and mako shark are also good! But so expensive these days. Tuna also! I digress.)


I made some this weekend; into tacos. I got a shot (i even made it all artsy fartsy for you) before the fillets were mangled into om noms:

So damn good..
WHY ARENT YOU ON MY BBQ.




No comments:

Post a Comment