Thursday, May 26, 2011

Experiment 02; 05.25.11

My god. I love yogurt.



Legit yogurt, not this sugary starch filled crap that over the past few months of pregnancy has shown me its not as healthy for as you're led to think. This isnt a post to bash yogurts though.

My treat is 'greek style' yogurt - that thick, tangy, oral pleasure that I am forced to purchase for my gestational diabetes. Normally I wouldn't complain and generally dont buy it cause of cost - but the good stuff, Chobani and Fage (fah-yeh); great for the diabetic that needs protein, is harsh on the wallet. 1.50-1.99 per wee cup. It might be better to purchase a larger tub, but I'm not too keen on shopping in 2-3 different places for groceries.

Besides. Why do that when I can make my own yogurt?


Honestly; it was a lot more simple then I expected - my cousin Kilty and I found this method after spending an amusing hour or so linking each other (expensive) interesting kitchen gadgets we located online. He linked me a yogurt maker that was nearly seventy dollars. My gad!

We located a method in which the most basic and potentially versatile of cooking implements; the humble crock pot is utilized to produce potentially delicious yogurt.



Having a crock pot and a love of yogurt and a desire to save money, I enlisted the assistance of the sibling to cart my waddling ass to the store to procure the needed materials:

a half gallon of 2% milk.

That was it. Seriously. I already had a cup of fage yogurt at home, complete with the *necessary* active cultures - this is necessary to help the milk (after its been warmed and cooled) to turn into yogurt. The bacteria (yes, bacteria) help the milk to ferment; helping to form the treat we love.


It was as simple as washing my crock pot out - you know, be clean people.

Giving it a dry, poring the milk in, setting the heat to low and wandering off for three hours. (we actually baked brownies). Then letting.. it cool for three hours; scooping out 2 cups of the milk into a bowl, whisking in 1/2 a cup of fage in, then putting that back in the pot, covering and leaving it alone for the night.

I admit I woke up feeling like a kid on christmas. I flailed my way out of bed at seven AM and dashed to the kitchen, eager and wary of what wonder my crock pot held.

I'll tell you know, when milk is warmed this way, it smells like ass. It smells.. just not quite right.

But when I removed the towel and lifted the lid of the crock; oh my. That tangy sour-but-not-off scent reached my nostrils.

I was elated. My impulsiveness had worked to create yogurt >.>!



Bad picture, but seriously - that IS yogurt.



Literally, I squealed. I crabbed the whole thing and ran out to my husband showed him the magic. It jiggled. I swear, it jiggled; akin to jello.

I shifted the slightly offensive mass to the kitchen, where upon the Husband sought to assist me (to a degree) to shift the gloppy mass to a strainer.

Now this is where the 'Greek-style' comes in. All that is is a fancier yogurt thats been strained of extra liquid (whey) leaving you this thicker, tangy treat.
Yes - coffee filters. Hi tech. Cheese cloth is optional.






Just a matter of waiting now >.>

So, its been an hour or more since I set that to straining; of course I have to fiddle with it and look.

The bottom bowl had accumulated a fair amount of liquid - the whey. The consistency of the yogurt has thickened quite a bit!

>.>

no whey! WHEY!
Its a clearish fluid; you can use it in bread making, - I dont have a need for it. I threw it out. No I didnt try it, it looks like the pee of a person who is well hydrated.

Being curious as to what else can do to facilitate the process; I wrapped the top of the treasure with more coffee filters and paper towels, and set a stock pot on top of it all with water in it, to help press it down.

even more liquid was pressed out :O


the first pot; I used a small pot later with more water.







Now because I couldnt resist, i tried a bit. Its at room temp so the consistency and taste arent as epic as it might be after a few hours in the fridge, but I wanted to share the results. Its not as smooth and creamy as say the store bought stuff, BUT the flavor is pretty awesome.

After the final strain is done and it gets to chill a while in the fridge, I will be sure to post pics :D

Oh look. Updates ;)


Put that in your mouth hole!

Dont judge my browning apples; they were left overs from yesterday ;P LOOK at that spread of delish instead.
Update:

So; the yogurt lurked in the fridge a while.
It being 330 in the afternoon, it was snack time. I tell no lie, I waited for this >.>

Looking back up at that picture above, this stuff has changed considerably; its quite thick, very spreadable. Reminding me of cream cheese. Its tangy/sour scent isnt as pronounced; same with the flavor, BUT, its still quite good.

I forsee this possibly replacing my cottage cheese mornings and evenings quite possibly >.> ..


Nerdy links for those whom are curious: 

Greek or strained yogurt

Yogurt in general

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I so want to try this! I love making my own flavors of yogurt so I usually buy the big plain containers.

    ReplyDelete