Thursday, June 30, 2011

Experiment 07; Butternilk Biscuits - The Rematch. Bitches! 06.30.11

I'm exhausted (gee I wonder why? >.>!); and though the practical part of me says "holy cripes woman - the kids asleep, go take a goddamn nap!" my head wont slow down enough to allow me to sleep.

So.. I said 'Fuck it. I'll go make biscuits"...




This is my second hand at biscuit making. I did some research about making these things (and discovered my last  attempt at making these things was rendered retarded by a few things.)

One was using a /glass/ to cut the damn things, and the other was rolling the dough.Using the wrong butter (yeah,  totally possible)  And handling the dough too much.

So I tried the following:

 - Chilled 'Real' butter. The shit that comes in sticks, not my country crock spread stuff. Thats a garnish now, not for baking. Ness understands that now. Chilled cause some recipes (this one) called for cold butter. Others.. room temp. Oh but dont use the microwave to warm it. Leave it out. In a bowl. Shut up. It takes time.

- Finger the butter into the flour. Thats right. Get your *washed plz* hands in that bowl and get it in there. It's supposed to make a crumbly mess.

- Use a legit cutter thing. Not a glass.

- Dont over handle the dough. It makes it tough and gnarly.

- Pat the dough down into the desired thickness.

You can if you want. Roll it out, I mean but I tried it this time with just my hands to pat it into the preferred thickness.


If I may say so, this round of biscuit making was much more of a success then the previous. They tasted lighter (The mouth feel was also lighter.), and really, I wish I had some jam to put on them :P


So I uh.. totally lack a *round* biscuit cutter. But I DO have this tin of metal cookie cutters in halloween shapes.. So I used the apple shape. Dont you judge me.

Using what I have around me; don't you judge my Wal-Mart special cookie cutter.

I brushed the tops with buttermilk. I do this with my blueberry-buttermilk scones.

omg they actually look like goddamn BISCUITS!

This was a delight >.>!

2 comments:

  1. That's an apple? I thought it was a pumpkin! I was totally excited for pumpkin shaped biscuits and now I am all disapoint :/

    But congrats on the successful biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You show them biscuits! Lol. Looks like they turned out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete