Saturday, July 2, 2011

Experiment 08; Fried Plantains. 07.02.11

I have never, in my 29 years, touched a plantain.


Then I watched an asston of Bizarre Foods on netflix where they do all kinds of shit with them. I can't deny the program is addictive. In a 'What the fuck will he eat this time?' kind of way, as well as being just damn fascinating. (who knew an animals head could be so versatile in cooking?)

So, being that I am not allowed to being whole heads of animals in my kitchen, or other various and sundry portions of critters and strange fruits and veg, I opted to try a plantain. I was going to try it in a way where you use a microwave.

Fuck that.

My good friend Heidi mentioned something called a tostone. I was intruiged; to say the least.  When I encountered the fruits in the grocery, I was perturbed. They looked like the normal bananas you encounter. Closer inspection showed them to be firmer (lolol). And they take longer to ripen on my counter. (given the heat in this apartment lately, I wager anything will ripen/go off in a day. Save a plantain.)

So I waited a week.  They didnt get nearly as brown nor as soft as I was expecting. I think I was thinking of a banana, when they ripen.
"Are they soft?"
"No, they are firm.. kind of like a hard penis"
^ actual conversation.

So I got up today; and said "Imma fry this shit".

and lo, I did:




This is exactly what I thought of when I looked at it.


:
They came out pretty good. Some were burned a bit (cause I was trying to multitask in the apartment >.>) but in general, they were sweet. A little soft and crunchy. I'd make this again.

1 comment:

  1. I've never had a tostone, but I know that the fried bananas you get at brazilian BBQ places are definitely nom tastic.

    ReplyDelete