Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Experiment 09; Fried Pickles. 07.06.11

Let me put this out there; plain and simple.

I Fucking love pickles.


I also love cucumbers. But this is about pickles.

I was challenged on the book of faces by my friend Charli(LULULU) to fry some pickles. Ive had fried pickles before; namely at a delightful place located in Seal Beach, the splendid, Beachwood Barbeque. (I go there mostly for their beers.) (shut up. I like beer.) But when I saw they had fried pickles, I was excited. and I loved them. But anyhow.

Back to cooking.

So; I did. I lost her original link, so I grabbed the first one I could find off the internet:
All your pickle are belong to ME MFr.

I almost used this as a basic check  (so I dont fry the apartment down. yanno.); wanting to use my beer batter recipe. But, the recipe sounded interesting,. so I opted to try it.

It was stupidly simple. I didnt measure shit. (but this a common practice in my kitchen.)
The only think I really lacked was paprika. and garlic powder. I use minced garlic in my cooking, but didnt here, it might have made for weird textures.

So. Pictures. Before I eat all of these. (and I WILL. cause my husband wont even look at a pickle.)

Oh right.. how are they?

They came out like I expected. Good; its a very simple recipe. Still, you can screw this up. I made mine, somehow, too salty. Likely since they are pickles for one, and two. I dunno. Whatever. I used some homegrown cherry chili peppers in the mix; pretty tasty. Exercise caution when working with chilis goddamit; wash your HANDS.

I'll still eat them like crisps as I watch Lord of the Rings while nursing my kiddo.

Obligatory 'before' shot.

This looks like a breakfast hell.

soaked in egg 'mix'; dredged in the flour mix. Awaiting oil bath!

Frying things brings out the scared white girl in me. This wasn't the spatter fest I expected.

OH GODS.. GET IN MY MOUTH,
 dlkfjlsldklfksadf NMDMSMMFMF OM NOM NOM

>.>

<3.

I DID say I love pickles.

2 comments:

  1. The first time I fried things it was a bit scary too. Now, I feel like a bit of an old hat at it (Maybe it's the South in me?) but I still flinch every time the oil pops since oil burns are notoriously nasty. I'd recommend getting a little frying pan screen thingeee (I can't remember the correct term) They have them at Bed Bath and Beyond (of course) and Target and Walmart. They help keep the grease and the oil in the pan and not on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the link for the fried pickles is dead :( did you use cornmeal at all?

    ReplyDelete