Friday, April 27, 2012

Experiment 15: I GOT ME SOME TAIL.

tehe.


I take pleasure in eating things. I have it as a general rule that I will try most anything once!
 This was not one of the 'weirder' meals I've ever made, but it was really good.

Like, holy shit, I think my tongue just had an orgasm tasty.

Oxtail is a portion of the cow used widely in soups and stews.  I keep seeing it on the television so I finally researched a recipe. I had guinness left over from baking (that never worked out) so I was keen to make a guinness beef stew or soup of some kind.

Typically, I work with beef in it's ground state, and leave the other form of beef - the steak - to the hubbasaur, whom is the self designated 'Beef God' and will not let me marinate it, or touch it, outside of buying and eating.

Aren't I lucky.

So my lady friend and I met up and went on a quest for tail. Amusingly enough, asking for ox tail reduces me to an immature giggling wreck. But the initial place I SAW the ox tail that spawned the furious desire to somehow use it, didn't have it this time. So I called Meat House. Cant get it til Tuesday!
flkdj;lsakdfjsdf

TO THE ASIAN MARKET.

If you read that as racist, you have problems.

I enjoy this place - 99 Ranch Market. Ever since I discovered it; god. It's like a treasure land of gustatory pleasures.

And the fish are awesome.

My friend and I are like children in this place.

So I got my tail. cool.

I soaked it in salt all night - I couldn't really find an exact reason for doing this; just that you have to do it. Most common reason for doing this that I could locate via the internet: it draws the blood out.

Still don't understand the point, but I did it~ Amazing the amount of cuts and the like you can find when doing this. Rolling meaty bits. in salt.

I then rinsed them the next day after they sat all night in the salt. Rinsed them well. The recipe stressed that you had to rinse them well. Or you'd have ass soup.



I'm used to working with meats with bones - this though, was a neat experience. Connective tissues and bones. Oooo~





I am a whore for garlic. I will never deny this. 
NEVER. 
The Thyme came from a lady friend a few apartment's over.
THANK YOU JEN.

So.. I braised the tails. I think this is braising - you know I don't care - I browned them.
The instructions stated that I do this with more salt, and pepper. I really think I used too much which later created a small issue of the the soup being a touch too salty.



sdfklsajd;flsdf..
After I removed the tail, I threw it in the crock pot and deglazed the pot with guinness. The house instantly exploded in a nasal overload of amazing.


So; I let it go. in the crock pot. for 8 hours. I actually left that day; I don't remember why I left. But I did. When I came home, I added the leeks, taters, carrots and mushrooms.
My home smelled like like DELICIOUS.
Oh and lentils. On a whim I added some lentils. I dont know how much. 
I DON'T MEASURE.


god.





This is one of the meals I made where my husband only had few resignations about eating. (like the much maligned pork terrine). Usually, he casts a wary eye on me and my ideas. Even this he did; but because it's beef and not the head. or balls; it was ok.

His only complaint was that I didn't cut any of the fat off >.>

oh and the saltiness of the broth. It was a bit over powering. BUT.

Aside from those minor issues, the meal itself was amazing. Meat that was butter soft, great veg.

I will make this again. Easily.

<3
Tail <3




2 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad the crazy explosion of growth my tiny thyme plant went through resulted in delicious noms! I also have a basil plant now too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh Ox Tail Guinness Beef Stew!

    ReplyDelete